We have now been living on the land for 8 months and have come a really long way due to the help of volunteers, we have collated a selection of photos from the summer of 2017 for those of you who dont keep up with what we are doing on facebook
Join us at Keela Yoga Farm this November and March, 2018 for our month long Food forest courses in Portugal.
Learn everything you need to know about starting and managing your very own food forest whilst experiencing off-grid living on a new permaculture project. Enjoy daily yoga and meditation practice amongst the beautiful Portuguese countryside!
Laurence has attended a ‘Permaculture Design Course’ (PDC) in Thailand, a master designer course, ‘Food Forestry’ course with Doug Crouch in Portugal, and has dedicated the last 3 years to immersing himself within permaculture principles. He is now enjoying putting these skills into practice everyday on his newly opened project in central Portugal.
- Enjoy a tour of our new food forest and the farm
- Design and help to plant a new food forest for another part the farm
- Design your own food forest for your land or for a part of our land
- Learn how to draw to scale drawings for design and planning
- Plant trees and guilds in the food forest
- Discover how to properly research trees and their companions
- Propagate perennials to plant into next year’s food forests
- Create beds for annuals in between the trees for planting to maximise the space in the food forests
- Learn how to design, select and buy irrigations systems, including a trip to the local irrigation shop
- Plan and perform earthworks for water catchment by selecting locations for swales and a small lake with the help of a digger
- Learn how to graft trees
- Learn how to make compost piles, organic fertilizers and how to breed fungi and bacteria for the soil (teas)
- Opportunity to learn some natural building techniques
- Attend weekly workshops on fermentations, permaculture principles and other farming related topics
- Plant trees as part of our reforestation program outside of the new food forest
- Olive picking
- Learn about foraging for wild greens and weeds for edibles and medicinal plants
- Opportunity to learn and share carpentry skills for making work benches and furniture from the food forests from our own timber
What else is included:
- Three healthy meals daily with lots of produce from our own land
- Daily yoga, meditation and pranayama classes with a professional on site yoga teachers
- Have time to relax in nature
- Opportunity to explore the local area by foot or by mountain bike
- A weekly outing to local sites: Monsanto, Boom Lake, nature walks and various local projects
Daily yoga classes on the yoga deck
1st – 30th November, 2017 ((full – accept one caravan space))
1st – 31st March, 2018
Accommodation and Course Costs
EUR 500 per person with your own accommodation (tent or van)
EUR 600 per person in a large walk in tent with proper mattress and bedding (based on two sharing in seperate pods)
EUR 700 per person in a caravan with a double mattress (based on two sharing)
EUR 900 per person for private caravan
To apply for this course please contact us
We are exited to be hosting an 8 day Intensive NATURAL BUILDING COURSE from 26th August till 2nd September 2017 with experienced Natural Builder and Teacher ‘Barbara Leite from the local established community Mount of Oaks. We will also provide daily yoga and meditation!
A long weekend yoga retreat of natural sustainable living on 29th September till 2nd October 2017, sunshine, rest, mountain views, starry night skies, organic food straight from the earth, movement, breathing, bare feet, community and magic. more “Weekend Yoga Retreat Portugal”
Want to know what the medicinal properties are for weeds on your farm? Herbalist and forager Raquel Perdigão is coming to Keela Yoga Farm from ‘Awakened Life Project’ on the 21st June to teach us how to forage for wild greens, the medicinal properties of herbs and how to use them. Please join us and also get a tour of our farm, a healthy vegetarian lunch and an optional yoga class on our new yoga deck.
Starting a permaculture yoga farm from scratch has definitely been a challenge within itself. It’s exciting, exhausting and exhilarating all at the same time. There is construction, plumbing, solar generated electrics, gardening, tree planting, water issues and much more that is taken into consideration every single day. We have been lucky enough to have a steady stream of solid volunteers that have been working through rain, shine and chilly weather in the earlier months, in order to develop our ‘Zone Zero’ building site into something a bit more homely. However hard labour, heavy lifting and digging gardens all day means that there are at least 10 hungry mouths (including Laurence and I) to feed, 3 times daily. more “Food, Glorious Food!”
With 46 acers of land, multiple fields, daily yoga classes, a community to run and a huge permaculture project, starting a food forest can be very overwhelming. We decided to fence off a smaller area which had three old burnt down pear trees, named it the pear food forest and made it our focus for the first half of 2017. more “Starting a food forest in portugal”
Three years ago we planned to give it all up and start a sustainable yoga community in Portugal. We moved onto the land we bought less than two months ago along with 6 pioneer volunteers who offered to come and help us set up, in exchange for food, yoga and meditation.
more “Pioneer Volunteers”
Although we have only just bought the land officially on the 22nd November 2016, my birthday, we have had friends and family volunteering with us for the past two months to help us start our permaculture and yoga project. Please see some of the work we have been up to on this blog. more “Volunteering at Keela Yoga Farm”